In recent times, social media has become a huge part of our lives. Almost every other person you meet has either a Facebook or a Twitter or an Instagram or a Snapchat account. And in today’s competitive world, it’s no longer just good enough to be a part of these social media, one must make their presence felt. People are always trying to compete on the grounds of who has the most friends on Facebook, or who has the most followers on Twitter. So it comes as no surprise to see a lot of people trying to get their Instagram account verified for a lot of the same reasons.
What verified badge means on Instagram?
Now, to begin with, lets first try and understand what this verification means. A verified badge or the coveted blue check which appears next to an Instagram account holder’s name/profile is meant to do nothing more than to validate the authenticity of that account. This verification badge comes in handy for public figures, celebrities and global brands who run the risk of having people put up fake accounts. By seeing the badge people can know that the given account is authentic and is safe to follow.
Why do you want to get verified on Instagram?
Since the verification badge is primarily meant for “public figures, celebrities or global brands”, while it is now fairly easy to apply for, it is still very difficult to get approved! In the past, people, ordinary people who don’t have millions and millions of likes or followers have been known to take one of these two paths to get their hands on the blue check. One: to work with a digital agency and get them to submit the verification request on your behalf. Two: to pay off a third party or someone on the inside in Instagram to get your account verified.
We definitely do not encourage you to take any of the above-mentioned desperate measures to get your Instagram account verified. On the other hand, we really want you to question the importance of the blue check. Why is it so important?
Important tips to help you get verified on Instagram
If you want to prove the authenticity of your account. There are more than one ways to do so. For starters, you could-
- Link your Instagram account to your webpage and other social accounts such as Facebook and Twitter. Having all your social accounts shared definitely boosts its authenticity and your webpage will also help you attract more followers.
- Be consistent, make sure your Instagram account username is in sync with your other social accounts. Also, don’t keep changing the essential look or feel of your brand. Repetition helps create a stronger brand image in the minds of the viewer.
- Make your account more attractive and increase its chances of being discovered. A good profile picture and a well-written bio go a long way in doing so.
- Lastly, keep in mind that even though Instagram doesn’t allow you to add links of your other social accounts, it does allow you to add a link to your own website. This definitely helps to boost your credibility.
How to Get verified on Instagram – step by step guide
We get it. Even though we’ve had this discussion on the actual use and importance of a verified Instagram account, we understand that a lot of you out there want to still try your luck! So go ahead, cause below we’ve listed the step by step procedure which will allow you to apply for the verification process on Instagram.
- Open the Instagram app on your mobile and go to your profile and tap the menu icon which appears on the top right-hand corner of your mobile.
- Click on the “Settings” gear icon which appears at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
- After that you need to scroll down and click on the “Accounts” option.
- There you will find “Request Verification”. Click on that.
- Now all you have to do is fill in your account name, your full name, what you’re “Known As” and also your category i.e., media, influencer, brand, etc. Lastly, you need to upload a copy of your photo ID if you’re a person else a copy of your legal or business ID if you’re using an Instagram for Business account.
- Once you’ve rechecked your details, just hit “Send” and you’ve officially completed the application process. Congratulations!
Once Instagram has reviewed your request, you’ll get a notification informing you as to whether your account has been verified or not. In case it hasn’t been verified, feel free to apply again after a period of 30 days.
What requirements to fulfill before applying for verification on Instagram?
Instagram has also listed some of the requirements that one must meet in order to apply for a verified badge. We’ve listed these points below for your ready reference.
- Authentic: “Your account must represent a real person, registered business or entity.”
- Unique: “Your account must be the unique presence of the person or business it represents. Only one account per person or business may be verified, with exceptions for language-specific accounts.”
- Complete: “Your account must be public and have a bio, profile photo, and at least one post.”
- Notable: “Your account must represent a well-known, highly searched for person, brand or entity.”
Also, you should know that just because you’re verified on other social media such as Facebook, it doesn’t mean that you’ll be verified on Instagram, which is quite strange since Instagram is owned by Facebook! Instagram seems to have its own set of criteria and requirements so, be warned!
We hope this article helps clear some of the doubts you might be having regarding the process for requesting verification for your Instagram account. So in case you’re not some famous person who runs the risk of having people set up fake accounts, we suggest you don’t get perturbed by all the fuss over the verified badge. But if it really means that much to you, try and increase your Instagram followers gradually and also get an overall boost to your social presence and resubmit your verification request. ‘May the odds be ever in your favour!’